Monday, March 7, 2011

Salvaged: Modern 50

After having spent the last week galavanting around the streets of Manhattan and Brooklyn, it's fair enough to say the barrage of industrial salvage is at critical mass. You can't turn a corner without bumping your head on another filament bulb or saddling up to the bar on the umpteenth industrial drafting stool. Coffee in an Eames chair, notes on a Nelson desk, and countless Atelier cabinets spewing with Mid-Century Americana. It's almost disgusting...almost. So it should only be natural that as I sipped many a Manhattan (made with vintage barware, of course) I found myself revisiting how much I still dig Dino Paxos and his eye-popping collection at Modern 50. This has always been a place of inspiration that I kept to myself, but I think it's time to share the wealth. Take note: this place is not for the faint of heart. It's vast, it's expensive as hell, and it'll probably be the only place where you consider dropping a paycheck on a rusty oil drum. Trust me, you'll need to clear your afternoon for this one...but it's well worth it.